Saturday, May 12, 2012

Off to Costa Rica!

My flight for Costa Rica leaves at 6:00 today. I'm both excited and nervous! Excited that I get to go on such a fun study abroad trip, nervous that I'm going to be immersed in an unfamiliar culture.

I want to go for three reasons:
1) I want to know Spanish better. I love the language and I'm super excited to be immersed in it - I need that to improve my speaking and listening skills.
2) I want to be able to speak Spanish so that I can communicate with the parents of my future students - I plan on teaching in the Southwest and I know speaking Spanish will be an important skill.
3) I want to be able to understand where my English Language Learners are coming from, what situation they're in. Even if they aren't a native Spanish speaker, I will still know what it is like to be immersed in a completely unfamiliar culture with a (sorta) unfamiliar language.

I'm all packed up and ready to go!


I'm bringing with me a gift for my host family. I found a piggy bank (or el hucha in Spanish) that has Arizona related things on the side. I think it's cute and is a great way to share where I came from.




Isn't he cute? I hope my host family likes it! =) The next time I write, I will be in Costa Rica! Woo hoo!

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is sooo cool! I can't wait for your next post! Adventures are always fun to read about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute present! I'm sure they loved it! :D

    ReplyDelete