Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Escuela y Empanadas

(School and Empanadas)

So far, today has been a great day. It's raining now (está lloviendo), as it tends to do every day in the afternoon/evening. I had classes earlier today, and I (think I) am getting better at Spanish. I can read or hear a lot of it without having to translate it to English first. Instead of hearing pan and having to translate it to bread and then understand what it is, the words bread and pan are the same in my head now.


Pictures from the outside of the University


Pictures from the "inside" of the university. And there's no window in the second picture, just a pole.

Here's the study area, connected to the library


Oh, and there are coffee plants just chillin' in the library, no big deal.

The other girl who is living at this host house arrived yesterday. Her name is Barbara. We are going to walk back to the school tonight for dance classes (think salsa and merengue).

What I ate:
Cena de ayer (Dinner of yesterday): Beets (remolacha) - I didn't know they got so big! One slice can be five inches across! But they were delicious. =) Boiled plantains (platanos), salad (ensalada) with tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, onions, dressing and some unidentified vegetable, chicken (pollo), refresca and rice and beans (arroz y pintos), of course. There are rice and beans with every meal - I even get offered rice and beans for breakfast.

Desayuno: A sandwhich (still sandwich in Costa Rica) with warm bread, margarine, ham (jamón), and tomatoes (tomates). It was actually really good. I also had pineapple (piña) and coffee (cafe) again.

Almuerzo: An empanada with chicken (empanada con pollo) from the burrito stand outside the school. The food is cheap and delicious, and I believe I will just try something new from here every day. The empanada was very good and I think it has cheese and tomatoes inside of it, but I'm  not sure. I also had iced tea with lemon (té frío con limón), which was refreshing.

Empanada!

Rain! Barbara and I ate lunch outside under a canopy with a Costa Rican girl named Graciela.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your days sound amazing. I love the list of foods you eat--it all sounds so interesting and yummy!!

    Your school looks beautiful, too! I love the inside-outside, thing, and the plants everywhere!

    ReplyDelete